Archive | February 2012

The Wing

Ribbon Scrap Art Test #3 - The Wing

Ribbon Scrap Art Test #3 - The Wing

This one was either a labor of love or mission towards insanity. At this point I’m not quite sure what the answer is, but at least the resulting piece is interesting. This is SUPER dramatic in person.

And now for the close-up...

And now for the close-up...

My initial inspiration for this was an owl’s wing, although it does have a bit of a fish-scaley look in person. This is a single winged owl at this point…

Here are some process photos of my journey:

First I free handed a wing shape on some scrap pattern paper...

First I free handed a wing shape on some scrap pattern paper...

Yes, I use markers when I draw my outlines. I have yet to find a chalk that lives up to my exacting standards. Usually it’s a Sharpie though…

Then I traced it out, with a bit of a hem, and cut out a piece of muslin...

Then I traced it out, with a bit of a hem, and cut out a piece of muslin...

Then I cut out a bunch of "feathers"...

Then I cut out a bunch of "feathers"...

I had to do this MULTIPLE times. This piece used up so much ribbon it was kind of ridiculous, and awesome because I have a ton of scrap screaming out to be used. I cut boxes full of diamond/rhombus shapes, out of the longest strips of ribbon in my stash, and kept them at my side during the layering process. I cut each piece at a 45-ish degree angle from the edges of the ribbon. These are all curling because my stash is stuffed rather tightly in to bags at the moment…

Then I started sewing them in overlapping rows across the wing...

Then I started sewing them in overlapping rows across the wing...

I kept the rows pretty tight together, about 1/2 an inch between layers, and followed the contour of the muslin shape at the base. Check out the photo below for the x-ray specs version…

Row upon row upon row...

Row upon row upon row...

...upon row upon row upon row upon row upon row...

...upon row upon row upon row upon row upon row...

This is not a project for you unless you are insanely OCD. Like me.

Perhaps if, and only if, I feel a complete desire towards gaining symmetry with this project, then I might actually complete the second wing. Otherwise this may just remain an eyeless fish upon my wall.

I’m currently looking for a product that I could spray on this piece to keep the ends of the ribbon from fraying. Something like Dritz’s Fray Check, but that I can use in one fell swoop instead of on each individual “feather”. I need something¬†that will allow for flexibility in the final project, is preferably non-toxic or low fume, but which will also keep the very ends of the piece intact. Any suggestions and recommendations are much appreciated.

~~~~

If you like what I’m doing, and want to follow along with my progress, please like the Crabapple Hideout Facebook page! Click on any of the photos above to get there, or just click¬†here!

Ribbon Scrap Test #2 – Tulle

Lovely increase in translucence

Tulle creates a lovely increase in translucence

My second test was created by sewing a bunch of random ribbon scraps to a piece of tulle. This dramatically increased the vibrancy of a lot of the colors! Surprisingly it wasn’t all that difficult. I was convinced that the tulle would bunch up and get runs a plenty. Fortunately this was not the case!

I can see the forest and the trees!

I can see the forest and the trees!

Unfortunately the piece I created the test on was rather uneven…

This is only a test...

This is only a test...

Here are a few more shots for your viewing pleasure…

Lovely light shines through...

Lovely light shines through...

It almost glows...

It almost glows...

It's all sunshine, nothing but sunshine...flashy...

It's all sunshine, nothing but sunshine...flashy...

I have a bunch more photos of this project posted to the Crabapple Hideout Facebook page! Click on any of the photos above to get there, or just click here!

%d bloggers like this: